The Ibn Rushd Prize for Freedom of Thought 2022 will be awarded in the field of Freedom of Religion to the activists Dr. Nayla Tabbara, Lebanon and Dr. Saad Salloum, Iraq.
on September 8, 2022 at 18 hrs in the Gobelinsaal, Bode-Museum, Am Kupfergraben, 10117 Berlin.
- Greeting: Prof Stefan Weber (German), Museum for Islamic Art, Staatliche Museen zu Berlin
- Welcome Speeches: Cora Josting (German) and Dr. Amany Alsiefy (Arabic), Ibn Rushd Fund
- Laudatory speech1: Prof. Elizabeth Kassab, University of Doha (Arabic)
- Laudatory speech2: Dr. Khazal Al-Majidi, University of Leiden (English)
- Reception speech1: Dr. Nayla Tabbara, Adyan Foundation, Beirut (English)
- Reception speech1: Dr. Saad Salloum, Masarat Organization, Bagdad (Arabic)
Moderation: Hikmat Bushnaq, Ibn Rushd Fund
Simultaneous Translation (Arabic <> German): Ramez Kabibo
Musical Interludes: Nabil Arbaain, Oud & company, Arabic Music Institute Berlin
The ceremony will be followed by a small reception with drinks
Please register using the following link 2022-Prize-Registration
==> Press release on Nayla Tabbara and Saad Salloum winning the Ibn Rushd Prize for Freedom of Thought 2022
This year’s jury for the Ibn Rushd Prize, consisting of Elizabeth Kassab (Lebanon/Doha), Khazaal Al-Majidi (Iraq/Netherlands), Asma Lamrabet (Morocco) and Nazmi Al-Jubeh (Palestine), chose as runners-up Omézine Ben Chikha Almeskini (Tunisia) because of “her valuable philosophical contributions towards a liberal understanding of religion”, and Abdeljabbar Rifai (Iraq) because of “his decades long effort to open up new horizons to religious thought even beyond the confines of one religion and one area, despite huge adversities that befell Iraq in recent history” (quotes from the jury’s justification).
The following day, September 9, at Forum Factory Berlin on the same topic from 14:00: Freedom and Religion: An Ibn Rushd Conference on Religious Freedom, Politics and Democracy.
Please forward this information to all your friends who might be interested in these two special events.
Thursday, September 8th 2022, 6pm
Gobelinsaal im Bode-Museum, Museumsinsel Berlin
Am Kupfergraben, 10117 Berlin
Bode-Museum on google maps
M1 Station„Am Kupfergraben“ or
S- und U- Bahn “Friedrichstraße” oder S-Bahn “Hackescher Markt”
- Press please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- More about the winners of this years prize, their organizations and this year’s jury here.
- Register for the awarding ceremony and the conference prize-and-conference-2022/
- View the previous 19 laureates https://ibn-rushd.org/wp/en/ibn-rushd-prize/